St Cuthbert, consecrated in 1887, is a Grade II* listed building designed by HR Gough. It accommodates one of the most remarkable late Victorian interiors which remains virtually unaltered to date. The entire roof to the church had been replaced in copper in a post-war repair campaign and the highly ornamental flèche, the church's striking external feature, had been re-clad to a much simplified design. Storm damage in 1987 and 1990 had stripped copper sheets from the topmost stage of the flèche and damaged fixings and remaining decorative fittings throughout its height.
As part of the extensive external repairs undertaken between 2000 and 2007 Caroe & Partners reinstated the copperwork to the flèche to its original design, complete with crockets, fleurs-de-lys and dragon gargoyles.